Top Social

2016: The Year of Agatha

1.02.2016
Hi, we’re Audrey and Emily. The Year of Agatha is a project we conceived via text message in 2015 while simultaneously watching episodes of Marple in our respective homes. Agatha Christie has been one of the best known and best loved masters of mystery for almost 100 years. Since we both admit to being occasionally teased, nay, mocked for our devotion to almost century-old British mysteries, we wanted to explore what it is that makes her stories connect just as much with millennials as they did with the post-WWI readers who were her contemporaries.

To get ready for the project, we read Agatha’s self-titled autobiography to learn a little more about her life and her personality. Over the course of 2016, we’ll be reading all of Agatha’s mystery novels -- some we’ll divide and conquer and some we’ll team up on, like Hastings and Poirot (but with a less marked gap in intelligence). We’ll be documenting our thoughts on themes, plots and characters drawn from real life, whether Tommy & Tuppence are basically millennials, the number of times Hastings totally misses the boat, favorite side characters, the poor souls who find the bodies and whether they are similar to Law & Order cold-opens, and much more. On Saturdays and Mondays, we’ll provide a quick overview of each book, accompanied by our super-erudite analysis, and the occasional mood board of things we think Tuppence might buy while online shopping.

Audrey (aka Clawdrey), tell us about your life-long interest in Agatha and the inspiration for this project.
I grew up in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere Michigan which, bizarrely, had a fantastically extensive public library. One summer I discovered the Agatha Christie bookcase way in the back of that little library. Several big shelves housed her complete works, and I devoured each one in rapid succession. I can vividly remember reading Peril at End House in one sitting and coming to the end and being so excited that the Queen of Crime had dozens more of these glorious mysteries for me to read. My grandma would tape Masterpiece Mystery episodes of Poirot for me and I would watch them over and over until the tapes nearly wore out. Agatha Christie stories give me such a happy nostalgic feeling and I can't wait to relive all the mysterious memories with Emily this year!


Emily, why don’t you tell us about how you got into Agatha?
As a preteen, I also picked up a number of our lady’s greatest hits in my regular summertime library runs, familiarizing myself with some of the most well known mysteries in the canon, like And Then There Were None and Dumb Witness. Once I became friends with Audrey and we realized that we basically like 95% of the exact same things, she was shocked to realize that I had never watched David Suchet’s long-running BBC Poirot series, so naturally I watched them (as well as Marple) and of course became a devotee, reviving my interest in Agatha. Since then I’ve read a few more of the books, seen the Doctor Who where Agatha Christie helps the Doctor save everyone from a giant wasp alien, and gotten more curious about Mrs. Christie herself. When Audrey suggested we read all the books as a joint project, I was pumped to get to know Agatha and her stories better.

So if you’re out there, thanks for joining us! Let us know when we’re reading one of your favorites, share your theories about the stories, and discuss how all the Girl on the Train fans have Agatha to thank.

Tune in after January 9 for our first book post, a joint review from both of us on Agatha’s first two books, The Mysterious Affair at Styles and The Secret Adversary.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment